The Family Support Team is integrated into the academic program. We receive referrals from teachers, parents, and tutors regarding children not making adequate progress, which may require additional interventions above and beyond the classroom teacher or tutor.
Parents are an essential part of the formula for success. The Family Support Team works to make families feel respected and welcomed in the school. The team works toward good relations with parents and increasing parental involvement in the school.
- Provide assistance to students, parents, and teachers when students appear to be working at less than their full potential.
- Meet weekly to brainstorm strategies and provide interventions that promote student achievement.
- Organize Raising Readers Workshops, Parent Workshops and other school activities which promote parent involvement.
- Create positive incentives for students, parents, and teachers to encourage a relentlessness for achievement
- Encourage parents to become volunteer listeners.
- Continue to develop a Parent Room equipped with books, video, audiotapes, magazines, and pamphlets for parents to read about children’s issues or meet with teachers.
- Establish and maintaing bonds with the community- Dairy Queen, McDonalds, BF Jones Library, Lion’s Club, Adult Literacy, and Head Start - to help us further our goal to improve student achievement.
- Utilize the Reading Excellence Grant funding for activities that provide an opportunity to improve literacy experience for families.
Our core team consists of: